The last two years have underscored the importance of taking care of ourselves by eating healthy and prioritizing rest and sleep. Eating the right food, and sleeping enough can keep your immune system in top shape through food boosters prepared at home, and reduce stress.
Boost Your Immune System With Nutritious Food And 15 Of These Food Boosters To Stay Healthy
Feeding your body certain food may help keep your immune system strong. If you’re looking for preventive ways, here are fifteen (15) immune system boosters that will help you achieve that protection to stay healthy:
1) Citrus fruits. Vitamin C is thought to increase the production of white blood cells. These are key to fighting infections.
2) Kiwi. Kiwis are naturally full of a ton of essential nutrients, including folate, potassium, vitamin K, and vitamin C.
3) Papaya. You can find 224 percent of the daily recommended amount of vitamin C in a single papaya. Papayas also have a digestive enzyme called papain that has anti-inflammatory effects.
4) Red bell peppers. Ounce for ounce, red bell peppers contain twice as much vitamin C as citrus. They’re also a rich source of beta carotene. Beta carotene helps keep your eyes and skin healthy.
5) Broccoli. Packed with vitamins A, C, and E, as well as many other antioxidants and fiber, broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables you can put on your table.
6) Garlic. The immune-boosting properties of garlic seem to come from a heavy concentration of sulfur-containing compounds, such as allicin. It also helps lower blood pressure and slows down the hardening of the arteries.
7) Spinach. It is packed with numerous antioxidants and beta carotene, which may increase the infection-fighting ability of our immune systems.
8) Ginger. Ginger may help decrease inflammation, which can help reduce a sore throat and other inflammatory illnesses. Ginger may also help decrease nausea. It packs some heat in the form of gingerol, a relative of capsaicin.
Meats, Snacks And Nuts
9) Shellfish. Some types of shellfish are packed with zinc. It doesn’t get as much attention as many other vitamins and minerals, but our bodies need it so that our immune cells can function as intended.
10) Poultry. It helps improve symptoms of a cold and also helps protect you from getting sick in the first place. Poultry, such as chicken and turkey, is high in vitamin B-6.
11) Sunflower seeds. They are full of nutrients, including phosphorous, magnesium, and vitamin B-6. Sunflower seeds are also incredibly high in vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant.
12) Yogurt. It is a great source of vitamin D, so try to select brands fortified with vitamin D. Vitamin D helps regulate the immune system and is thought to boost our body’s natural defenses against diseases.
13) Turmeric. This bright yellow, bitter spice has also been used for years as an anti-inflammatory in treating both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
14) Almonds. Nuts, such as almonds, are packed with vitamins and also have healthy fats. A half-cup serving, which is about 46 whole, shelled almonds, provides nearly 100 percent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin E.
15) Green tea. It is a good source of the amino acid L-theanine. L-theanine may aid in the production of germ-fighting compounds. Green tea really excels is in its levels of epigallocatechin gallate, another powerful antioxidant.
Getting enough rest can improve your immune system, memory function, and concentration. Maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle is tough. We have to balance it with our daily lives and those daily lives can be hectic. That is why spending more time snoozing and prioritizing it is key.
If sleep problems are an issue, the World Association of Sleep Medicine suggests several tips that can help improve sleep quality:
1) Exclusively using your bed for sleeping;
2) Refraining from consuming caffeine six hours before bedtime;
3) Eating a light dinner;
4) Limiting naps to 45 minutes; and
5) Creating a comfortable sleeping environment by keeping the room dark and well-ventilated or using the right mattress)
Establishing a sleep-friendly environment is something that is very important in achieving quality rest.
ALSO READ: Helpful Tips To Overcome Stress From A Day’s Work
A healthy immune system reduces your chance of viral infection. With these natural ways to boost the immune system, you can achieve a healthy lifestyle.
If you like this post, please do share it on social media like Facebook and Twitter. Don’t forget to tag me back.
Also, don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more updates and random stuff about me and this blog.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more exciting but random adventures.