On June 26, 1997, author J.K. Rowling published her first Potter novel, “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” in the United Kingdom. This year marks the 20th anniversary of that book. To commemorate the year where children around the world love reading literature in the new generation, here are twenty (20) very random things about the boy wizard, Harry Potter, and other stuff you need to know (or might have known) about him.
20 Things About Harry Potter: Celebrating the 20th Year of the Potter Universe
1) The UK version of the first book, “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” was published in 1997. In the US, however, the title was changed to “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” and was published a year later.
2) Harry James Evans Potter is the complete name of the boy wizard. His father is James Potter and his mother, Lily Evans.
3) Harry Potter’s birthday is on the 30th of July (same birthdate as J.K. Rowling).
4) On Harry’s eleventh birthday, he met Hagrid (the year 1991), in a secluded hut, with the Dursleys.
5) Hagrid gave Harry a gift on his eleventh birthday: Hedwig the Owl.
6) Harry’s eyes are green, same as his mother’s.
7) He has jet black hair, same as his father’s.
8) Harry Potter got the scar on his forehead when Voldemort killed his parents at Godric’s Hollow on October 31, 1981.
9) Harry Potter was a pure-blooded wizard; his father is pure-blood, while his mother is half-blood (a magical person with non-magical parents).
10) Harry Potter’s wand was 11 inches long, made of holly, and possessed a phoenix feather core.
11) Harry is a Parselmouth who can speak Parseltongue. He can talk to snakes.
12) His first crush was rumored to be Cho Chang, as well as his first kiss, during a dueling practice in the Room of Requirement for the Dumbledore’s Army.
13) Harry’s wizarding school, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizard’s motto, is “Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus“. In English, it means “Never tickle a sleeping dragon”.
14) The school name, “Hogwarts” is a name of a plant, Hogwort. However, it was not an intention of J.K. Rowling to name the school by that name. She said that it stayed subconsciously ever since.
15) Harry joined the Triward Tournament in 1994. He was supposedly not allowed to join due to the age restriction to only students 17 years old and above (Harry was 14 that time in his 4th year at Hogwarts). It was Barty Crouch, Jr. who put his name on the Triwizard Cup under a random school.
16) The Battle of Hogwarts happened last May 2, 1998. Harry was around 16 or 17 years old during that time.
17) Harry Potter has three children: James Sirius, Albus Severus, and Lily Luna. He married Ginny Weasley (Ron’s youngest sister) around the year 1999 or 2000. He was 20.
18) Harry became an Auror at the Ministry of Magic after graduating at Hogwarts. Aurors are trained investigators dealing with crimes related to the Dark Arts. He became the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement around the year 2020.
19) Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger, both Harry Potter’s best friends, were married and had children: Rose and Hugo Granger-Weasley.
20) The epilogue of the last Harry Potter book, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollow” happened 19 years after Harry graduated from Hogwarts. During that time, Albus Severus, Harry’s second child, attended Hogwarts on September 1, 2017. Albus Severus was sorted into the Slytherin House, the first of the immediate family of Harry Potter to be sorted not in Gryffindor.
BONUS:The story of Albus Severus Potter was told on a theater play, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
ALSO READ: I am a Happy Harry Potter Fan
If you like this post, please do share it on social media like Facebook, Twitter or any other site that you like (of course with a credit link back to this blog post).
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more exciting adventures.